22 March 2009

'Hugo'...My Venture into Animation


With the completion of first short film, and in the process of planning a bigger, feature project (with actual actors!) for the summer, I'm also going to try my hand at animation. Obviously, I'm not Pixar, and the best animation I'll be able to come up with won't look much more sophisticated than an old episode of South Park, but I'm not worried about that. I want to tell a really good story, and that'll be the goal. Aiming for about 10-15 minutes or so for a Fall 2009 release. I'll post more info as I develop it. Anyway...

Hugo, which yes, is a take on the name of some of the infamous 'ugly' cartoon characters throughout history, is about a subject that's bothered me for years: the lobsters in the tanks in seafood restaurants and grocery stores on death row. Hugo is the story of a 100-year old American lobster who's seen more history than most humans who is one day plucked from his home and put up for sale in a seafood restaurant. Let the escape being.


Here's a promo pic: